Planning A Roadtrip Around Scotland And I Need Your Help!
As I mentioned in my 2014 travel plans the boyfriend and I are planning a road trip around Scotland In March. To be exact we are half booked; days off work confirmed, a route planned and a few nights of accommodation booked. However I’m determined to see and do as much as possible and still have a few nights of accommodation to book so that’s where you come in! I’m after your advice on everything I should do on/near my route and any suggestions of where I should stay.
So we are heading out on the evening of Friday 7th March and have until Sunday the 16th March to get back to Glasgow.
Lets start with the route:
Planned overnight stays are at:
- Friday & Saturday: Aviemore – for the weekend with friends in attempt to catch the last of the snow
- Sunday: Inverness or hopefully Loch Ness
- Monday: Thurso – We have a wigwam book here just out side of Thurso. Check it out.
- Tuesday: Durness – No accommodation booked yet
- Wednesday: Ullapool/Gairloch/Similiar – No accommodation booked yet
- Thursday: Isle Of Skye – We have another Wigwam booked here on the west coast. Check it out.
- Friday: Fort William – We are actually staying 30 minutes from here in a Micro Lodge. Check it out.
- Saturday: Loch Lomond – We are staying in our favourite B & B in Arrochar
We have been sticking to a budget of £40 a night for two people so far. Looking at quirky and different accommodation so if you have any ideas for my missing nights then I would LOVE to hear them.
When booking the accommodation for these nights I found the following sites useful:
Huts and Cabins
Canopy and Stars – although most of these have a minimum of three nights stay which doesn’t suit us
I’m aware my route misses out some of the best of the islands but with only a week to travel I have chosen the places furthest away from Glasgow and highest on my ‘must see’ list. I am hoping to visit some of the southern island from Glasgow over the coming months.
What to see
As you can see from the map, I have marked extra places to visit on top of the overnight stays, I have compiled this list from locals opinions as well as guide books and blog posts. Here is a full list of places we hope to be stopping at:
Mallaig – which is just out of Fort William on the Coast with amazing over to some of the Islands
Eilean Donan Castle
Isle of Skye – Portree, Uig where you will find a place called ‘Fairy Glen’ The Cuillin Mountains Climb the ‘Old Man of Storr’ Glen Brittle Forest, visit ‘Fairy Pools’ magical, Kilt Rock Spar Cave
Durness (surfing up here is brilliant, be warned, it’s so windy and freezing up here)
Kyle of Lochalsh
Not forgetting my Pinterest board which is filled with pretty pictures of all the places I want to go!
And last but not least I’m on a hunt for the Northern Lights! Have you seen them in Scotland? Where is best to find them?